This situation made ARMYs and some netizens quite surprised, unable to understand why SM had to take the image of another company’s artist when they also own the virtual characters of aespa. However, both companies have yet to give any response.
At the end of October, SM announced some information related to the 2021 and 2022 plans of the Dear U. Bubble app. Dear U. Bubble is known as the pioneer application for the trend of paid messaging that is spreading widely in Kpop today, where fans can pay to text their idols as well as receive messages. Messages from my favorite artists. In the near future, Dear U. Bubble plans to expand the application by reaching actors and sports stars inside and outside кσяєα, opening an in-app store as well as setting up a live broadcast function.
Most notably, not accepting to stand outside the trend of metaverse (virtual reality space where users can interact with a computer-generated environment as well as with other users), Dear U. Bubble is expected. will launch a beta metaverse called My Home in the first half of 2022, then a full version called Bubble World will be released after 2023. In My Home, each account will have a homepage interactions and their own avatar so that users can enjoy decorating. In particular, artists can also visit the fan’s homepage and in that situation, the fan will receive a notification saying that your idol has visited here. Fans will also be able to visit each other’s homepages, and items like furniture and clothing will be sold in the app store.
However, also from what SM announced for their IR activities, the online community quickly discovered some unusual things. In the introduction of My Home, the company used a cartoon character as the background image. It is worth mentioning here that SM uses a virtual character in Dear U that is identical to BTS’s cartoon character j-hope in TinyTan – a product created by their rival company HYBE.
The problem even lies in the fact that SM copied this character in its entirety to use in the Dear U app. Proof that the same image was used as an emoticon by TinyTan.
After this news was posted, ARMYs expressed their views:
1. SM really likes China, so I guess they have Chinese mindset too
2. Recently SM plagiarized songs of HYBE idolsㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ I’m not surprised anymore, SM plagiarizes all the time
3. That video was removed, so they used it without permission.. SM, why did you do that?
4. Why was our Hobi there?
5. As an office worker, I can’t imagine the future of the employee who made itㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
6. Is it noisy marketing?
7. What…. Is it Hobi’s character? Why is Hobi being used for SM’s benefit? Is that company a Chinese company? What they’re doing is crazy. HYBE, why did you ignore this?
8. SM is a plagiarism company, so I’m not surprised that they use BTS’ characters
9. Why does SM have so many controversies about plagiarism? What the hell are they doing?
10. ???????? What is this? Why was our Hobi there?